In Other News...
I've stopped listening to SCAD Radio. I'm not sure why. I think it's because they remind me vaguely of My Nemesis, who shall remain nameless in case they are as avid a Googler as myself. Or, perhaps more accurately (but perhaps not), they just don't really seem like people I would get along with very well.
Apparently, art nerds just aren't my kind of nerds.
EDIT: OK, so I just listened to them again while retrieving the address for the above link, and I believe another reason for the cessation of my listenership is that they have started to play some truly awful music... like... angry mosquito music...
Meanwhile, back on my PC I have listened to 69 Tragically Hop songs in a row.
I think that's a record.
I'm also in the process of cleaning my room right now. For those of you not in The Know, my room has changed precious little since I left for college seven years ago. Same posters and maps on the wall. Same general arrangement. Same bunk bed. The most dramatic change is that it now contains seven years worth of the sorts of things that Brian Walline is prone to collect while in college (e.g. signed bottles of booze, Victoria's Secret catalogs, myriad electric adapters, alcohol paraphernalia, copious amounts of doodling, books on Roman architecture, class notes, brickabrak, bad movies on VHS, dirty socks). This, when combined with the boxes of stuff I horded away during the 18 years prior to that, leaves quite a bit to sort through. After all, I can't be indiscriminant about this stuff... anything worth saving once is often worth saving 2, 3, or even 8 times. For instance, I just found a piece of math homework from my junior year of high school with a doodling of a scribble-monster on it. This went into the "keep" pile. It possessed an expressive quality I might wish to reflect on later... What?
I've also found hall passes from 1995, rusted track spikes from 1997, hand-drawn maps of Warner Creek from 1989, pinewood derby cars from 1990, unused condoms from 2002 (snap), and a Michigan reptiles and amphibians field guide from 1994. And this is just some of the stuff that I did not know was in here. I mean, I knew there was a Nintendo Zapper and shoe box of bottle caps and Lego castles and a baseball card / Marvel card / basketball card / Ninja Turtle card / Magic card collection and a rock collection / shell collection / bone collection / shark tooth collection... I knew there was a pile of 100 comic books and 250 Ranger Ricks and 75 National Geographics and 45 Wildlifes / Natures and 15 Michigan Magazines and 30 Saltwater Sportsmen and 53 Zoobooks and no I did not actually count all that shit.
I did, however, count basketball stats, as I learned when I found a team stat card from one of my neighborhood exhibitions. Apparently in one afternoon I tallied 60 points, 9 assists, 8 steals, 49 rebounds, and 21 blocked shots. Apparently I am the greatest basketball player ever.
In any case, I'm somewhat amazed at what I've gotten rid of so far. All told it probably amounts to several large plastic tubs or roughly 200 lbs of stuff, which is a big accomplishment for the guy that still has his team picture from t-ball. Also, chances are that if you've sent me a post card or birthday card or death threat within the last 15 years, I still have it. Better yet, I probably looked at it within the last day or so and it probably affected some sort of emotional moment. Don't get worried, the moment is over. But thank you.
Goodness I'm a sentimental lout.
Anyway, I'd best get back to it.
It's the Aswan High Dam all over again... Ah! Memories!
.
Apparently, art nerds just aren't my kind of nerds.
EDIT: OK, so I just listened to them again while retrieving the address for the above link, and I believe another reason for the cessation of my listenership is that they have started to play some truly awful music... like... angry mosquito music...
Meanwhile, back on my PC I have listened to 69 Tragically Hop songs in a row.
I think that's a record.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm also in the process of cleaning my room right now. For those of you not in The Know, my room has changed precious little since I left for college seven years ago. Same posters and maps on the wall. Same general arrangement. Same bunk bed. The most dramatic change is that it now contains seven years worth of the sorts of things that Brian Walline is prone to collect while in college (e.g. signed bottles of booze, Victoria's Secret catalogs, myriad electric adapters, alcohol paraphernalia, copious amounts of doodling, books on Roman architecture, class notes, brickabrak, bad movies on VHS, dirty socks). This, when combined with the boxes of stuff I horded away during the 18 years prior to that, leaves quite a bit to sort through. After all, I can't be indiscriminant about this stuff... anything worth saving once is often worth saving 2, 3, or even 8 times. For instance, I just found a piece of math homework from my junior year of high school with a doodling of a scribble-monster on it. This went into the "keep" pile. It possessed an expressive quality I might wish to reflect on later... What?
I've also found hall passes from 1995, rusted track spikes from 1997, hand-drawn maps of Warner Creek from 1989, pinewood derby cars from 1990, unused condoms from 2002 (snap), and a Michigan reptiles and amphibians field guide from 1994. And this is just some of the stuff that I did not know was in here. I mean, I knew there was a Nintendo Zapper and shoe box of bottle caps and Lego castles and a baseball card / Marvel card / basketball card / Ninja Turtle card / Magic card collection and a rock collection / shell collection / bone collection / shark tooth collection... I knew there was a pile of 100 comic books and 250 Ranger Ricks and 75 National Geographics and 45 Wildlifes / Natures and 15 Michigan Magazines and 30 Saltwater Sportsmen and 53 Zoobooks and no I did not actually count all that shit.
I did, however, count basketball stats, as I learned when I found a team stat card from one of my neighborhood exhibitions. Apparently in one afternoon I tallied 60 points, 9 assists, 8 steals, 49 rebounds, and 21 blocked shots. Apparently I am the greatest basketball player ever.
In any case, I'm somewhat amazed at what I've gotten rid of so far. All told it probably amounts to several large plastic tubs or roughly 200 lbs of stuff, which is a big accomplishment for the guy that still has his team picture from t-ball. Also, chances are that if you've sent me a post card or birthday card or death threat within the last 15 years, I still have it. Better yet, I probably looked at it within the last day or so and it probably affected some sort of emotional moment. Don't get worried, the moment is over. But thank you.
Goodness I'm a sentimental lout.
Anyway, I'd best get back to it.
It's the Aswan High Dam all over again... Ah! Memories!
.



1 Comments:
At 2:42 PM,
Anonymous said…
welcome back.
Post a Comment
<< Home